Saturday 21 December 2013

We are not aMused


I have been hunting ideas recently, in increasing fraticosity. I am snatching at whispers, dreaming of addendums, trying too hard. Ideas for me are very much like Douglas Adams’ instructions for flying, which are so brilliant I believe them:
‘There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.’
(Life, the Universe, and Everything, 1982)
It’s all about the moment of distraction. I’d also like to take a mindful approach, be all Zen about it, but it’s hard to relax when you have a deadline. (You know it’s bad when you decide you must go out and buy a new pen and writing book). I have a proliferation of writing, I’m writing right now, I have lots of possibilities, but what will work? What to pursue?
  • Waking up with a different face every day
  • Riffing off paintings, joined up Flash fictions
  • A liar that lives in a cardboard box
  • Resuscitating Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven
  • What about Witkacy?
  • Time travelling cheese monkeys
I could just roll a die like Luke Rhinehart, I could close the book, did Bastian Balthazar Bux ever do that? Or I could just bloody get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon