Saturday 28 December 2013

Hello from Yesterday



I heard from an old friend. Funny to hear from someone after a thousand years. He is not on Facebook either so like myself I assume he doesn’t have unnecessary connections. The past tends to stay put, but there’s nothing like a little nostalgia every now and again. So it was kind of nice to get an email. 

   He was the only boy in our gang, apart from boyfriends, who never quite counted. He was funny and kind and ate loads of garlic. He had crazy girls and nice boys. Everyone had a five minute crush on him. He wore cool retro clothes and had a traffic island in his room. I remember making up a dance with him to Octopus’s Garden which I still perform whenever I hear it. We kept up for a while, he came down to our Brighton fancy dress parties but then as people do I went away and he drifted away and the organised people in the group became more concerned with organising marriages and families. 

   He is in Brighton now, and happy and married and childed. Maybe I will coffee cafĂ© him when I am next there. But too much nostalgia can make one nauseous (I site listening to 80s Cure or U2). 

   He played me this song once, which is just the right balance of then and now (give it half a minute): 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon