Wednesday 15 June 2016

Opportunity: Short Stories Needed for Lipreading Project

Fancy doing something useful with one of your stories to help people learn to lipread? Why not write a story for the Lipreading Project. Successful stories will be read aloud on a free website, as a teaching aid for people learning to lipread.
   I have submitted and really enjoyed the challenge of writing outside of my comfort genre and my linguistic territory. No fantasy, no made up words, good grammar; it needs to be easy to follow, so just a tight dramatic story. We all have creative crutches and it was healthy for me to cut down my tricksy word play and magical-realism. Good to not rely on a flying baby or a talking dog too.
   I initially thought I’d dust off an old story to submit, but even when I think I’m original my stories have recurring fantastical elements, although I’m happy to say I’ve finally got over my dragon addiction. It was also a relief to be writing something other than my novel, which continues to slowly spew in random episodes and that I know I’ve got to re-impose coherence onto, when I can bear to. Short stories are instant gratification but often don’t see the light of day so this is a way of hopefully getting one out there, in a really valuable way.
  Click here for the project’s remit and how to apply. It lays out the benefits better than I can, plus the terms and conditions and submission form. Please help make learning to lipread more fun with a gripping tale. Go on, send something off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon