Sunday 17 January 2016

Saturday Snapshot: London Love

I saw old friends in London last night. I was coming out at Oxford Circus, slightly disgruntled because my exit was closed and in the sky above me was a glowing creature. I stumbled into the street, staring above me. At first I thought it must be a wonderful late Christmas decoration, (it rippled with changing colours), so much more imaginative and abstract than I would expect from the shopping hub of London. Then I noticed other people were stopped too, in the middle of the road. No traffic.

I continued on my way, down Regent St, pushing through crowds, past stickmen made of lights somersaulting down the front of a building in time to 1980s computer music. Then two enormous fish came floating towards me. I turned into Heddon Street, which was strewn with flowers for David Bowie.
   
  
My friends were in Titbits. This is not, to my relief, a topless bar but a vegetarian buffet restaurant, where you pay for your food by having it weighed. There were a thousand things to choose from and I tried a tiny bit of everything. What was great was there was no waiting and no protracted working out the bill, people could come and go. As my friend said, it is a great first date place, and it’s also a great meeting your mates place. I saw dear old friends I don’t see enough of and met new people too. I love new people, especially articulate, entertaining ones. 

On my way to Piccadilly Circus I encountered a projected elephant, trumpeting out at the street. I don’t miss commuting, I don’t miss tubes but now I don’t live there, I love London. It’s wonderful and extraordinary and giant elephants and fish live there.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon