Saturday 15 July 2017

Satisfied Commuter



I know its eccentric but it’s a hobby of mine. It’s normal in Ecuador to ride on top of a train and James Bond does it, so I thought I’d give it a go. Now, I’m not one of those adrenaline junkies and I must confess part of the reason was the overcrowding of the 7.42 to Waterloo and the impossibility of getting a seat. The first few times I’d scramble up clumsily but now I have a rope with a little anchor, like the kind rock climbers use. I can even wear a skirt to work, such have I perfected my ascent.
   The guards at Winchester kindly turn a blind eye but I’ve had a few run-ins with South West Rail’s ticket inspectors. I always produce my season ticket and point to the fact it says nowhere on it that I can’t ride on instead of in the train. I think they just resent having to climb up to check my ticket, but I say the exercise is good for them.
   Tunnels were a bit hairy at first, a strange claustrophobic experience. I know now what that tunnel looks like when you die, but in the meantime, I’ve honed my “carriage hug” stance. Of course, my usual posture is more "upright horse rider". I do almost get decapitated from time to time, if I have a good novel on the go, or nod off.
   So, that’s my journey to work. The views are amazing and I always get a seat. You should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon