Monday 29 June 2015

Flash: Sleep Tight


Everyone has their phobias; I don’t like cables. And yet everything seems to need to be plugged in. Around the bedside table are tangled leads for my hairdryer, chargers and lamp. I have woken with my headphones wrapped around my neck many times. Leads loop and knot around each other when I’m not looking; a snaking orgy of wire.
When I lie in bed I hear them writhing.

Then one day at work I see the solution; along my office walls are tamed cable-tied leads. I stop at the DIY shop to buy supplies. When I get home I lay all my leads out on the bed, then sausage them together. There will be no more saucy nonsense; now they are married.

In the night I listen and hear nothing. They are restricted and I can sleep easy.

Until
I wake up
unable to breathe.
My rope of cables is coiled around my throat;
I have made my own noose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon