Thursday 19 March 2015

Flash: The Comfort of Consistency



The ghost is outside. I can see an outline through the frosted glass of the front door. Close up, its face fractures but I can see its eyes are closed against my gaze. 
 
It has lived there as long as I can remember so at least six years. It is most noticeable at night; hovering, waiting to be let in. When I do open the door I feel the ghost pressing on my chest but it doesn’t dare enter; I don’t invite it. Probably it is friends with the skeleton that lives on the landing and is very clever at staying exactly, perfectly behind you. They both have the same soul-constricting smell around them.



Time passes, life unwinds. The ghost is always there. Sometimes I forget about it for thousands of days, and often I live far away but whenever I wonder into the hallway on my own I am confronted and now comforted by its otherness, its alwaysness, its me-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon