Sunday 8 February 2015

To Wit, to Woo


For the purposes of professionalising I am attempting a tweet a day. As well as the word-count war it is also a challenge to think of something suitable, sharable. I don’t know whether to try and be witty, wise or wonderful. I’m not sure if any of those are doable in 140 characters unless you’re Basho, Hemingway or cheating by linking to those itty-bitty URLs.
 
I can’t master hashtags. What are they for? I remember #s from my saxophone days when they made notes sharp. Maybe that’s what they are doing here too; cutting through the chaos.

How can one stand out in all this noise? Maybe that’s not the point, maybe it’s not about standing out, maybe it’s about joining in; I have a feeling that’s where the hashtag thing comes in. The posts I’ve enjoyed the most have been the photos, a bit of reflection in all that chatter. And that little blue bird does like to blather.

I’m also not yet aware of etiquette. Is it rude to unfollow a friend? How about replies, retweets, following followers – oh my! After all, it’s all about wooing you, lovely, brilliant person that I am incredibly grateful to for reading my words. Too needy? Too desperate to be read? It’s tricky to pitch the wooing at the right level when the recipient is invisible.

Oh, the terror and turmoil of a professional online profile! To help me conquer my technophobia I have enrolled on a free social media workshop. I’m not promising anything but possibly you will see improvements. Maybe I’ll get into it. Maybe I’ll tweet so much everyone will be sick of me and ignore me and I’ll just be talking to myself. Maybe I already am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I'll get back to you soon